It has been a few weeks since we spoke about it in class, but I felt it appropriate to post some thoughts on the commandment: do not stand idly by when another's life is in danger. I thought and thought about what I could possibly say about this mitzvah and how I would observe in my own way. Do I discuss my opinions on social action and tzedakah within the Reform movement? Would I physically go out and observe the mitzvah as it is written? How should I determine whether another's life was in danger? By the time I finished asking myself these and other questions, the Shabbaton retreat was upon me and I pushed this commandment to the back of my mind. However, with the retreat's theme being "THE PROPHETS" I was immediately thinking about the mitzvah again. Many of the prophets' main messages were about fixing our actions and doing better in the eyes of God. For the retreat I had written and was running programs all about taking action and reanalyzing our relationship to ourselves, others, and God. I felt really good about leading activities and discussions for others to contemplate all of this, but it did not feel right for me. I still felt like I was cheating myself out of the challenge of observing the mitzvah.
Another week had passed and I maximized my time off for the Veteran's Day holiday so once again, my mind was not focused on the mitzvah. But as most things you have to do in life, this mitzvah was unavoidable. This week in my weekly movie night tradition, Schindler's List was the Oscar Best Picture movie choice. I had never seen it and to be honest, had avoided it until now. Which, while watching the film, I began realizing that this was exactly the message of the film and the core idea behind the mitzvah of not standing idly by. The movie did not present any historical information that I was not already aware of, but it did allow me to begin rethinking what it means to take action. How so many people were able to justify their actions or inactions during this time in humanity's history will always frustrate, anger, confuse, and amaze me.
"He who saves one life, saves the world entire" is taken from Talmud and is engraved on the ring given to Oskar Schindler at the end of the film. It is such a simple concept yet so very powerful if ever done. I also do not believe that it always means to literally save someone's life, but to care for another. It truly represents the mitzvah of not standing idly by and gives us something to strive towards. We often turn our heads at injustice and violence and atrocities when we should face them together. I have yet to act on this Mitzvah, but at least I am now thinking about it and want to become more knowledgeable as to how I can act going forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment